Sunday, August 31, 2008

My Second and Third Books




Hi all,

As I mentioned in my last blog entry, my publisher received several letters asking when Bill Lorentz's next case would be. (Bill Lorentz is my bumbling detective). I was asked to write a second book, and I did.
The format of this book was changed drastically to make the book more suitable for a larger target audience. Lots of useful information was added (exercises, etc), to help the reader better his/her English skills. I personally believe that the story was a bit better too. In the book, my detective once again misses almost every clue there is, jumps to incorrect premature conclusions, and almost gets his balls bitten off by rottweilers. His maid once again solves the case.
The book was received well, and I received quite a few letters asking for more. One girl in Southern Bohemia even created the Bill Lorentz Fan Club. I'm proud to say that the club had five members. My publisher, however, concluded that the book was aimed at a very thin slice of the English-learning community, and sales - although good - were not good enough for a third case. The format of the book worked better than the original format in the first detective story, and they decided to republish the first book in the new format. Mistaken Identity thus became The Nosy neighbor, and was published about a year later.
I was able to improve the story a little, and I added all the extras mentioned above. The books sold relatively well, but I did receive a couple of letters from unhappy readers who had bought the book, thinking that it was a new case for Bill Lorentz. There were some new things in the case, but the case ended up solved in the same. way. I sent free copies of my other book to readers, hoping to console them.

Even though Bill Lorentz is no longer active, I've been thinking about creating more cases for him. If I get enough of them, I may publish a novel about him. Well see.

Well, I think I've written enough for today. I'll try to write a few words tomorrow, if I get some time. There's still a lot to write about.

Cheers!

--James

No comments: